Canon CLI-8 and Canon PGI-5 reset procedure
To reset chip for Canon CLI-8 and Canon PGI-5 cartridges, follow all steps 1 - 5
STEP 5: This step is a "reset" step for the Canon CLI8 cartridges. The original Canon CLI8 cartridges have a memory chip on the back of the cartridge, which sends a signal to the printer when the cartridge is empty. Your printer won't be able to determine how much ink is in the compatible cartridges, but you can easily monitor the ink level by noticing the ink level drop in the cartridge as you print (the cartridges are see-through), or by noticing low ink output on the printed pages when you run out of ink. The "reset" procedure below is the best procedure we know of to date to allow your printer to use Uni-Kit cartridges which offer a tremendous savings over the Original Canon products.
With the original chip now attached to the compatible cartridge (you may need double sided tape to get the chip to stick well to the cartridge), and with the cartridge now in the printer, Press and hold the Reset/OK Button for 5 seconds to reset the chips.
- The "Ink Low" dialog box will pop up (similar to photo 1 below)
- Continue to print until the "ink has run out" dialog box pops up (similar to photo 2 Below) Click "OK" to continue to print.
- The "Ink Low" dialog box may reappear, if so repeat the first 2 steps
- Then the "once empty" dialog box will pop up (similar to photo 3 Below) Click "Yes" to continue to print
- The "Not Liable" dialog box will pop up (similar to photo 4 below). Click "Yes" to continue to print
- Continue to print until the "remaining level of ink" dialog box pops up (similar to photo 5 Below) Click "OK" to continue to print
- Another dialog box will pop up with the "press and hold the Resume" or "press and hold the Paper Feed" button (similar to photo 6). Press and hold the "STOP/RESET" button (for Canon MP Series) or "PAPER FEED" button (for Canon IP Series) for 5 seconds. DO NOT Click "Back" or "Cancel Printing"
- The "Ink Monitor" dialog box will appear and the printer will continue to print. (similar to photo 7) In the event that that the "press and hold the Resume " dialog box pops up again, Press and hold the Paper Feed Button or Stop/Reset Button for 5 seconds